We went out for dinner and drinks after a quick game of disc golf.
We ate at Duckworth’s, and shared chicken and steak fajitas for two. It’s so hard to pick just one beer there, as their huge beer list has so many that sound amazing. So naturally, when it was time to order our second glass, we each decided to go for a sampler of 4 different beers instead. 🙂
Chris’ paddle had better beers than mine did. I guess I was just off that night.
I absolutely loved Olde Hickory’s bourbon barrel seven devils, and the Highland thunderstruck- which tasted like coffee. I already knew I had a liking toward the bourbon barrel beers, as there is another I love, called Dragon’s Milk. Knowing that, I sampled another bourbon barrel beer, the Heavy Seas Bourbon barrel below decks. I did not care for it at all. It was high gravity, (as are most bourbon barrels) at 10%, and really sweet and bitter. It tasted like cough syrup and bourbon. yuck.
Some others I didn’t like:
- Lost Coast Winterbraun- too hoppy for my tastes
- 21st amendment fireside chat- tastes like burnt gingerbread, Heavy spices, really fragrant. Starts like gingerbread, but finishes charred. High Gravity at 7.9%
I thought these were OK:
- New Belgium Lips of Faith Coco Mole- it was super complex. Spicy and smokey. Good, but I couldn’t drink more than one glass of this.
- New Belgium Smoke Screen: Chris loved this one, but to me it tasted like Lox (smoked salmon)
- 21st Amendment Back in Black- It looked and smelled great. The head lingered and it was smooth and creamy. It went over great at first, but finishes a bit too hoppy for me. I was let down. 😦
So… yeah. There’s my opinion. I’m no beer expert, but I know what I like, and figured I’d share it with you. Cheers!